These are our guidelines for qualification. For more information please see our Cooperative Information page.
MEMBER SELECTION POLICY
It is the policy of Westerfield Townhouses Cooperative, Inc. to strictly adhere to all fair housing laws, including Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 as amended. No applicant shall be discriminated against or denied housing because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, familial status or disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To be eligible the household must not exceed the income guidelines determined by HUD (Housing & Urban Development). The current limits for 2015 are:
1 person $48,800 | 4 people $69,650
2 people $55,750 | 5 people $75,250
3 people $62,700 | 6 people $80,800
The following criteria must be met before any potential buyer can be accepted by Westerfield Townhouses Cooperative, Inc. This includes any potential buyers obtained by the member. Additionally, qualification criteria number 5, 6, 7 & 8 apply to any additional or new household member(s) over the age of eighteen(18). All decisions regarding the acceptance of new members and new household members will be made by Westerfield management, and such acceptance shall not be unreasonably withheld.
- The applicant (s) has an acceptable rental or mortgage history.
- The applicant (s) has an acceptable credit rating or history.
- The number of person(s) in the household does not exceed the new member occupancy limit guidelines established by the Cooperative.
- The applicant’s total household income is below HUD’s current income ceiling.
- No applicant or household member has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, has had a felony or misdemeanor adjudicated in any way other than an acquittal or has served time in a penal institution.
- Within the last five (5) years, no applicant or household member has a history of acts or threats of violence or criminal activity, including drug-related criminal activity or prosecutions.
- The applicant (s) has no history of behavior that would be in violation of the Occupancy Agreement including the Rules and Regulations of the Cooperative, which includes jeopardizing other members’ right to peaceful enjoyment of the premises.
- The applicant(s) must show proof that they are legally in the United States of America. Applicant(s) are not required to be citizens, but must show they have the legal right to reside within this country. Evidence of legal residence includes: (1) Evidence of citizenship, such as birth certificate, voter registration card, naturalization papers, US passport or (2) Evidence of legal residency, such as “green card”, visa that does not expire during the potential lease term, valid Social Security Card with accompanying photo identification. Other forms of proof may be acceptable and will be examined on an individual basis. All applicant(s) will be required to produce evidence of legal presence in the United States.
NEW MEMBER OCCUPANCY LIMIT GUIDELINES
UNIT SIZE MAXIMUM PERSONS
One Bedroom 2
Two Bedroom 4
Three Bedroom 6
Further, since this is affordable housing, management reserves the right to prioritize a waiting list based on available unit size, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, familial status or disability.